April 2, 2020
Our thoughts are with you all as you continue to navigate the various stay-at-home orders in place. We are working hard to obtain as much information as possible to make the most well-informed decisions about our summer programs. We intend to send our next communication with some concrete information on April 15th.
Until then, stay safe and healthy!
Matt & Marnie
March 15, 2020 – The following update was sent to alumni from our Board Chair, Whitney Phelps.
As we look forward to the summer of 2020, we reach out today to keep you apprised of our ongoing response to the coronavirus (COVID-19), which we know is affecting all of our families.
Here at Dudley and Kiniya, the health and safety of our entire community is—at all times—our top priority, and we are monitoring the evolving situation closely.
We communicated with all of our currently enrolled camper and leader families on Friday with the following message: based on what we know at this time, we do not currently plan to cancel any programs for summer 2020. We continue to prepare for an amazing camp experience that we hope will start on schedule three months from now! You can link to the letter here.
These are uncertain times for us all. Circumstances are rapidly changing daily and sometimes even hourly. I know you are all busy managing school closures, adjusting work schedules, and meeting your family’s basic needs. I am thinking of you all as you work through your own personal circumstances and challenges in your communities at home.
You can be reassured that our Directors, Matt Storey and Marnie McDonagh are working closely with our Risk Management Committee and our Board of Trustees here at Camp as they continue to evaluate best next steps for Dudley and Kiniya. They are assessing all possible contingency plans—especially now with many school closings occurring nationwide. While there are many unknowns, Matt and Marnie and their teams are thinking ahead and strategizing potential scenarios in order to make the best and most well-informed decisions on behalf of the health and safety of our beloved community.
If we do decide to make any changes to the summer program offerings, I will communicate directly to you, our alumni, by email.
As always, I can be reached directly at email@example.com.
Take care of yourselves and each other,
Peace and love,
Whitney Phelps, #22898
March 13, 2020 – The following update was sent from our Directors, Matt & Marnie, to parents of campers through leaders, as well as directly to leaders, who are enrolled in Camp programs for the 2020 Summer.
Dear 2020 Dudley and Kiniya families,
As we look forward to the summer of 2020, we want to reach out about Dudley and Kiniya’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19), which we know is affecting all of our families, especially those in communities with active outbreaks.
Here at Dudley and Kiniya, we are monitoring the evolving situation closely. The health and safety of our entire community is—at all times—our top priority. Based on what we know at this time, we do not currently plan to cancel any programs for summer 2020. We continue to plan for an amazing camp experience that we hope will start on schedule three months from now!
We have always taken great care to develop and maintain effective health screening, policies, and procedures required of our close residential setting. We adhere to stringent cleaning and sanitation protocols at all times, and we maintain medical practices to address a variety of communicable diseases, both common and rare. These will continue to be a focus in the summer ahead, with the addition of any extra layers of precaution if recommended.
Since the situation is changing rapidly, we will be following developments and working closely with our Board of Trustees, the NY and VT State Health Departments, and the American Camp Association on any next steps. If any program changes or cancellations (on campus or off campus) need to occur as the summer draws near, we will communicate directly with those impacted. We will be in contact with all current camper families again no later than April 15th with an update on program status.
Our hope is that the current efforts at social distancing and the reduction of group activities occurring in communities—as recommended by government agencies and institutions—will work to contain and reduce the spread of COVID-19 and permit us to operate all of our programs without interruption. Perhaps one of the best gifts we can provide our campers at this time will be a magnificent 2020 summer together in the fresh air on the shores of Lake Champlain.
Our thoughts are with those who have already been affected, including all of our students whose institutions have moved to remote learning and those whose programs abroad have been interrupted. It’s during times like these that we strive to live “the Other Fellow First”, through care and support of one another. While being physically present in the broader community may be challenging or not possible for many right now, the extension of love and support through virtual outreach and kindness is always good!
If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or by email. We’re always happy to hear from you and grateful for your support and trust.
Matt & Marnie
ps: While there are many news outlets reporting on the COVID-19 virus, our primary sources of information are:
- New York Health Department
- Vermont Health Department
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The World Health Organization
- The U.S. State Department Travel Information